Monday, May 31, 2021

A Flag for Memorial Day


Today here in the US we're celebrating Memorial day to honor those who have served this country. I made this flag card to remember the sacrifice so many have made in order to keep our freedom.
I used a Tim Holtz die for the flag, and then found a tiny star die and cut as many stars as I could fit onto the blue field. I coated the flag pole with wink of stella gold for some sparkle, then added copper stickles to the flag pole top. I'm sorry it's difficult to see the sparkle - we haven't seen the sun in a few days so my natural light is limited. The sentiment is probably 10 years old - from Mark's Finest Papers (they've been closed for several years now) and I heat-embossed it with white ep on a navy blue strip that was cut with a Lil Inker (also now closed) stitched die. The background was embossed with a Darice star embossing folder.

Remembering my lost family members on this day...
my father - US Navy
my uncle - US Navy
my father-in-law - US Army
my brother-in-law - US Marines
my cousin - US Army

Thanks to those who have served or currently serve. Freedom doesn't come easy.

I will enter this card into the following challenges:







the Paper Players PP543 - Tic-Tac-Toe challenge
(I chose diagonal left to right - blue, red, white)


 Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by.

Carol



 

19 comments:

LeAnne said...

First, thanks for sharing the family members that you lost....that is truly a loss! And thanks for creating this amazing card, especially using my Tic Tac Toe grid. It's WONDERFUL!

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant card Carol celebrating Memorial Day and for the loss of your family members
Carol x

R's Rue said...

Thank you for sharing. The true meaning of today.

Brenda in IN said...

What a wonderful card and a lovely tribute to your family members.

Donna said...

This is stunning Carol, great background and the flag is perfect as the focal point! Glad you joined us at The House That Stamps Built, hope to see you again next week! Donna

Liz said...

Beautiful card Carol and a lovely tribute to those who have served your country and the sacrifice they made for freedom. xx

Jeanne H said...

Excellent card! Your family sure has served our country. My uncles and my brothers too.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Great post, Carol! We all have to think about people that lost their lives for our freedom, in any country! Great tribute to all your family members, too! Your card to celebrate looks just wonderful with that big flag and the embossing on the back! Well done using a tiny punch for the stars on the flag! :)
Big hugs and good vibes on your way!

Maria said...

A wonderful tribute to those who have served our country! We are free because they gave the ultimate sacrifice. Your card is very lovely and patriotic! Love the flag and star background! Beautiful font on the sentiment, too!

Claire said...

What a beautiful card for such a poignant occasion. I love the idea of using the flag and it doesn't need any words to convey a strong message x

MiamiKel said...

Oh Carol, I'm so grateful for the sacrifice of your family members for all of us to remain safe and FREE. Such a beautiful card and even more beautiful post - thanks for sharing!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful design. Perfect for Memorial Day.

cotnob said...

A super card Carol, a great flag and your embossed background is perfect.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a wonderful card Carol, it should be in a frame, it's beautiful.
Faith x

Maria Rodriguez. said...

God Bless your family for their sacrifice and love for this Country and Freedom, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Your card is amazing, beautifully presented, love the star embossed background and the simple but powerful sentiment.
We remember and honor.
Thank you for sharing with us at RETRO RUBBER.
Stay healthy and safe.
XO
Maria/DT

Wendy said...

Oh, what an amazing card, Carol! I love the flag die and the star embossed panel! This is a great way to honor those family members that gave all! Well done, my friend! I just love this!!!! :)

laurie said...

Love your patriotic card Carol! An awesome tribute to those who served our country. Thanks for joining us at The Paper Players!

Di said...

A perfect card Carol for a day of remembering with gratitude. I hope that future generations will always pay tribute as well.

Apologies for being behind with commenting.

Hugs

Di xx

Heather said...

What a fabulous card for Memorial Day! The flag is perfect and I love that embossed star background! So sorry for the loss of your family members and thank YOU for your sacrifice. I have several family members that have also served. Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.