Friday, August 16, 2019

Twofer #19 - Nautical


It's time for the Twofer challenge #19 and this month the theme is "Nautical."


Here are my cards. One is "thinking of you" and the other is a belated birthday card.


I used the SU! retired "Open Sea" Stamp set for this card, along with some Bermuda Bay card stock and matching designer paper. I used a piece of PTI soft stone card for the stamped background rectangle, along with some Distress Pumice Stone ink. The ship was colored with Copics and I used 3 different bottles of stickles to create the water sparkle. The anchor was done with a Marianne Die, cut from gray and covered with glossy accents before adding some twisted black and white twine. The sentiment is from the now-closed MFP store.


I had to sit and think for quite some time what other type of card I could make with this ship image,  but I came up with the snarky idea to make this belated birthday card! LOL I started with some kraft card stock and embossed it with a Darice nautical ef, then die-cut a piece of Pacific Point blue with a MFT fishtail banner die. I turned it sideways because it looked like it was flying in the direction of the tiny flag flying on top of the ship. The ship was stamped with Versamark ink, then heat-embossed with gold, sponged with antique linen and vintage photo inks, then cut with a MFT stitched circle die. The lettering on the image was done with $1 stick stamps and the other letters and circles were done with my Quickutz.


 Here's the inside done with Sweet 'n Sassy stamps.

In addition to the Twofer challenge, I'd like to enter the first card into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge which is "Midsummer Blues" - add some blue to your card...


I used the diagonal line from the top left down - "By the Sea, Texture, and Bright colors"


I'm also going to share the 2nd card with the Male Room Challenge #117. They're celebrating their 6th birthday with a birthday card challenge...

as well as the Crafty Gals Corner Challenge #198 - Emboss it!




Grab Our Badge!

Thanks for stopping by and I wish you all a wonderful weekend!

Carol


28 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Two brilliant cards Carol. Love the waves on the first and that oh so snarky wording on the second. Hugs Mrs A.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

These came out fantastic! One is so serious and the other is quite whimsical. Brilliant! Just goes to show you the many ways we can use our stash.

*Vicki* said...

Oh wow Carol, these are both awesome creations! Really love the colors and the look of the sparkle you've achieved on the water with the first card and the second one has me giggling!! Too cute!! :)

Liz said...

Two great cards, Carol. I love the layout of your first card and all the detail you've included and what a fun sentiment on your second card. xx

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous masculine cards and love the stamp and embossing-great tongue in cheek sentiment lol
Carol x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wonderful nautical cards. I really love the last one with that fun sentiment.

Cat Craig said...

Carol, you've put the stickles to good use on your first card, that ocean is rocking your boat (pun intended). Your second card is perfect for that forgotten male birthday. Its sure to get a chuckle. Thank you for joining in at Twofer Card Challenge #19.

aussie aNNie said...

Beauty these two nautical cards, great designing of both.xx

Heather said...

Two fabulous cards! I LOVE that first one!! Awesome layout and colors and the ocean water looks amazing! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

Darnell said...

Two sensational whaling ship designs, Carol! Can you believe I have all that SU pp and have never used it to this day ~ even with the nautical challenge! 😯 I want to use it, but then Hammy and I just look at each other with blank stares, so thank you for the inspiration! Your cards both have amazing texture. The waves on the ocean blue TOY card are spectacular and I love the e/f you used on your snarky belated birthday design! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #19! Great job with the other challenges, too! Hugs, Darnell

Jeanne H said...

Wonderful cards! Really creative. tfs

Brenda in IN said...

The water on your first card is so pretty I want to jump right in. It sparkles like the sun is shining on it. I love snarky so your second card is right up my alley, or I should say right on my wave link! It is a fun one.

Wendy said...

Both of these cards are just awesome, Carol! I never got this set but always admire the cards made with it and yours are perfect! Love the colors and design on the first one and the embossing on the 2nd one is amazing and the way you did the wording! LOL I always say, I love how your mind thinks! WTG on both! TFS and have a great weekend! Hugs~

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOWZER, what amazing cards Carol, both so individual and both so wonderful in every way.
Faith x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I am back with my DT hat on and happy to repeat how awesome I think your cards are in every way. Thank you so much for joining us in our Birthday challenge at The Male Room this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

Faith The Male Room DT
Daffodil Cards {My Blog}

The Male Room
themaleroomchallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk

Claire said...

Two super cards for the Twofer Challenge Carol, my humour draws me straight to the belated birthday card... the sentiment is just wonderful. The clipper boat is a fab image and looks magnificent on that sea with the nautical details x

MiamiKel said...

OH Carol, I love them both! No way to chose a favourite as they are both gorgeous! So serene and beautiful - a perfect twofer! xx

Maria said...

Beautiful nautical cards! Your first card is so pretty with the wonderful ship image, anchor, and gorgeous shades of the water! Second card is so fun with the sentiments and embossed background!

Glittered Paws said...

Love the first one of your twofers the best - especially with all the sparkly water - good use of your stickles. The second card is "cute - and clever". Love the play on words. Thanks for joining us at The House that Stamps Built.

Ina G said...

Both fabulous male cards Carol. Super layouts and oh so very different twofers. Love them!

Happy Dance said...

Two great cards for this month's Nautical theme, Carol! Those SU papers are gorgeous! I think I used mine up years ago, though I still have a stash of Parisian Breeze around, lol! Everything about your 'thinking of you' card screams 'sea voyage.' LOVE that ocean you've created with the Stickles! Can't wait to show some of the grandgirls this and then the five of us can make a giant mess and have a ball trying to replicate this! Very cool how you've framed the ship, too. Awesome card! And your very punny card is a delight, too! The embossed panel adds just the right amount of texture and the colors are great on the kraft. Even your 'fish tail' die fits the prompt! Great cards, and thanks so much for joining us at the Twofer Challenge. Bev

Wei said...

Two fabulous design with the boat. Thanks for playing along with us at The Male Room Challenge. Looking forward to seeing your creative projects in the future galleries again.

nwilliams6 said...

These are wonderful. Pretty first card, but the snarky one is my favorite! Super designing and thinking. Love the ship too - I have it and need to dig it out. Hugz

Donna said...

Beautiful Twofers for Darnells challenge and Glad you joined us at The House That Stamps Built!

Monika Skinner said...

Great set of cards, love the nautical theme! Thanks for playing along at The Male Room craft challenge. Good Luck!

cotnob said...

Two super cards Carol, they are both fabulous - I especially like the design of the first one and the embossed background on the second.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Esther Asbury said...

Both cards are fabulous, but I especially like the water on the teal one! Soooo cool! So happy you played along in the "Tic Tac Toe" challenge over on The House That Stamps Built!

dmbennett said...

Fabulous cards. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Gals Corner Challenges.
Dawn DT