Thursday, June 8, 2023

Magical Birthday


 My friend Wendy recently posted a book binding card that was so pretty, I had to search online and learn how to make one of my own. Thanks for the inspiration Wendy!
I won a Hero Arts stamp set years ago from Simon Says Stamp that has been my favorite flower stamp set ever since. I stamped all the flowers on white with  SU! Coastal Cabana ink (I think that color may now be retired) and added color with 2 matching Copic markers. Each was fussy cut and I used a (r) SU! mini circle punch to cut the centers from matching dsp on the side panel, pressing the centers with an eraser tip of a pencil on a rubber mat to curl them around the outside edge. The leaves were also from the same stamp set; stamped with black ink and fussy cut, then all flowers and leaves were curled with a bone folder and popped up on little bits of foam. I stenciled the sky with some Tumbled Glass distress ink and some T.E. cloud stencils before matting the panels with black. The ribbon was a generous gift from a dear friend years ago that perfectly matched these colors. I tried tying it into a knot, but it's too thick and would not go through the mail easily, so I just cut a strip and adhered it with double sticky tape to keep things flatter. The sentiment is pre-printed from SSS and also matted with black. These colors just make me happy and I am now down to 2 precious sheets of this colored cardstock that I've been hoarding before it's gone! 😄

I'll enter this into the following challenges:


The Flower Challenge #81 - use your favorite flower


The Triple B June Challenge - use 1,2, or 3 of either Birds, Blooms, or Butterflies

Thanks for stopping by and make it a great day whatever you do!
Carol

18 comments:

Brenda in IN said...

This is a stunning color and a beautiful card. The book binding looks so pretty and that paper is lovely.

jimlynn said...

Oh wow! Carol, this is stunning! I love the patterned paper for the flower centers and the Copic coloring on the leaves. So beautiful and that ribbon.....whoa! Gorgeous card!
Lynn

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOWZER! This is stunning Carol, love your flowers and design.
Faith x

Aquarius said...

Brilliant choice of colours here and such a pretty floral card

*Vicki* said...

Wow Carol, this is absolutely gorgeous! The flowers just POP with dimension and I love that plaid you've placed in the centers! The ribbon is a wonderful touch to your book binding card design too! What a magical card for someone's birthday!!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card and flowers,love the fold.
Carol x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow!!! You have been really SO inspired making this card! It's a true joy for the eyes!! Pinned :) These flower with their plaid centres are just stunning and the sweet blended colour is a breath of fresh air! Love the stencilled sky and the long stripe of the sentiment: perfection!! I have never seen a book binding card before, and love so much the effect. That plaid paper is fabulous, and I recognize that very old ribbon, well done for finding a very good use for it! :D
Big hugs from so far, dear friend! Have a wonderful weekend!

Wendy said...

Absolutely gorgeous card, Carol! I love these colors...they make me smile, too! This type of fun fold is so easy to create. I am glad that you gave it a try! You used very pretty papers and those flowers are beautiful!! Great job, my friend!! :)

Timothee Lambert said...

"The blog's engaging writing style makes even complex subjects enjoyable to read. The author has a way with words that keeps me hooked and eager for more. I can't wait to see what they'll write next!"
https://promocodehq.com/all-day-shirts-promo-code

Liz said...

Wonderful card, Carol. I love the design and the colours are so pretty. xx

Diane said...

Wow Carol it is a gorgeous card, I love the centers, very creative at first I thought they were those candi pieces and was wondering how you got them to match your papers, I'll have to remember this trick!! Thanks for joining our fun at Triple B!!

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a wonderful card. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Donna said...

Gorgeous card and fabulous coloring of the flowers!!

Lisa said...

WOWZA those flowers are amazing. Really gorgeous card.

Darlene said...

WOW! GORGEOUS! Love the colors ... simply AWESOME! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our newest adventure - Triple B challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
Co-Owner
Triple B
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

More challenge fun beginning July 7th … check it out … SIMPLY CLEAN & SIMPLE

Brenda said...

What a beautiful card Carol! I love the colors, of course your clouds and yes, I've been practicing, but am not all that great at them. LOL But a bit better maybe. Love the flowers and the plaid paper and pretty ribbon. These book binding cards seem very popular! Love it! Hugs, Brenda

JD/ Jill said...

Beautiful card! I love the colors that you used, and your flowers are so pretty!

Stef Perry said...

Love the book binding style of your card and those beautiful blooms, especially with the fabulous plaid centers, all in Coastal Cabana! The ribbon on the binding part adds a wonderful touch of elegance and texture. Such a beautiful card and I'm so glad you chose to share with us at The Flower Challenge this month!