Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Sympathy Card


This is the most difficult sympathy card I've ever had to make. 

On July 11th, our area of PA encountered heavy storms and downpours with 6" of rain that fell rapidly; causing sudden flash floods, leaving many motorists stranded and waiting to be rescued.
One such incident involved a young mother who was 8 months pregnant and had her 9 year-old-son in the car with her. Without warning, their car was suddenly swept off the road as the water rose quickly with no time to react. In spite of her being on the phone with #911, the rescue efforts to reach them failed and they perished in their car.
The story moved me to tears when I first read it, but after we found out who they were, we were stunned and shocked. We've been fortunate to have an honest and very good car mechanic (Mark) for over 30 years since we moved to this area, and his son Josh joined him in the business when he grew up. The young woman driving that car was pregnant with Josh's daughter, and just trying to imagine the devastation these families are going through is beyond my comprehension. To lose the love of your life, your son, and your unborn child in a heartbeat is just inconceivable and there are simply no words I can think of that would offer them comfort as they try to get through this unimaginable time in their lives. This sympathy card is for Josh and Mark. 

I used a GinaMarieDesign die for the background and colored each section with pastel copics in pink R11, blue B21, and yellow Y11. It was cut from a diamond-finish card stock and has a soft shimmer to it. The angel was a GinaMarieDesign die cut done in gold mirror card and placed on a stitched oval die cut; also by GMD. The Sympathy sentiment was done with a die by Serendipity, also done in gold mirror card and pastel grey ink for the word "with." Sorry the reflection of the mirror card does not make for a good photo, but I was trying to get the look of an angel with heaven behind her as she welcomes her 3 new angels. It looks much prettier in real life.

The other day I closed a blog post with a reminder to hug your loved ones. This is the reason why I added that. I rarely discuss personal things here, but my heart is just full of sadness as they prepare to say their final good-byes on Friday. Life is short and no one knows just how short it might be.

I'll share this with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge which is to make your own background.

Thanks for stopping by and make it a great day. Live it and love it while you can!

Carol

17 comments:

Stampsnob. said...

This is just beautiful ….. Lis

Brenda said...

OMGosh Carol, I saw this on the news and I sat crying and praying for the family members going through this loss! I just couldn't believe it and so wish she could have turned around. Loss is hard enough when it is a stranger, but when it hits this close to home with someone you know....well it is just heartbreaking even more. I'm so sorry for the loss this family has suffered. I will keep them in my prayers as they go through this loss as well. It's not going to be easy for them for sure. Loss is hard enough when you know it is coming, but like this?! I just can't even imagine. Your sympathy card is just beautiful and perfect for this mama to be and her young son as they are truly angels now. Now I'm off to dry my tears...again. Big hugs, Brenda

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Such sad notice, it surely is a shock for those men and I'm so so sorry for the young pregnant woman and his son... :( Life is strange and nobody could know what's the destiny under the corner... Poor families...
Your card is very sweet and the delicate colours are just perfect! Love the gold angel and that big sentiment, and the sun rays on the back!
Hugs and prayers

Claire said...

Heart breaking x

Cathy said...

So sorry to hear of this tragic, heartbreaking loss Carol, sending prayers and hugs to you and the family, Cathy x

Verna Angerhofer said...

This is a beautiful card and I know it will bring comfort to the family. So sorry for the loss of these friends of yours.

aussie aNNie said...

Oh dear how sad, may they rest in peace in God's care, devastation hits and can shock us all at the best of times but when it's someone you know...words fail me....Bless them all and a most appropriate card.xx

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

What a beautiful and meaningful card. Very lovely indeed.

I had not heard this story, although I do remember the storm, as I was driving in it. I saw some photos of local roads completely underwater and I wondered if there were any bad accidents, but did not hear about it. I am so sad for this family.

JD/ Jill said...

Carol, Your card is a beautiful sympathy card!
I'm still in disbelief that something this sad could have happened.
The picture of them on the front page of the paper showed such a lovely, "Happy" family.

Yes, you just never know so we have to try and make the best of each day...
My revelation was when my father very suddenly died of a heart attack!
Early in the day I was talking to him (Yes, he wasn't feeling well) but I never expected that he would be gone that afternoon.

And sometimes it is a small world. My grandson worked as a server at the same place that she worked. I didn't get to talk to my grandson, but I asked my daughter if he knew her...My daughter asked him for me and he said yes!
And he said that she was a very nice person, and she liked to tease him...
she would especially tease him about the fact that he liked to eat the same soup everyday. Through the tears that I was feeling for her, his words brought a smile to my face.



Wendy said...

Such a heartbreaking story! I seen it on the news and the tears hit! I am so sad for this woman's family. How can you ever move on after losing your family, I will never know. Carol, this card is beautiful and perfect for this sad occasion. I pray it gives the family a bit of peace and comfort in the days ahead. In this life you just never know. Hug them and always let them know you love them because in a minute they can be gone forever....

Brenda in IN said...

What a terrible tragedy and to lose all of his loved ones breaks my heart. This is the most beautiful sympathy card for him. There really are no words for this.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Such a tragic story, heartbreaking, how do you get over something like that, your right we never know, thank God, what is to befall us. My heart goes out to the family. However after a couple of tears from me, I have to say what a wonderful and poignant card this is, so beautiful and perfect for the family.
Faith x

Liz said...

What a tragic story, so sad for young lives to be cut short like this. Your card is just perfect for Josh and Mark and I'm sure it will bring them some comfort at this very difficult time. xx

cotnob said...

Such a heartbreaking story Carol, by heart goes out to them. You card is beautiful, perfect for such a sad occasion.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Lori said...

Such a beautiful sympathy card and what a horrible tragedy. I'm struck with sadness...

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

I know how you struggled with this card, and it came out beautifully. It will be greatly appreciated once it is received. There are just no words at a difficult time like this.

crafty-stamper said...

Oh my word what a tragedy how on earth do you recover from something like that.You never know what is round the corner and how quickly loved ones are lost.Such a beautiful sympathy card under such difficult circumstances.
Carol x