Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Twofer #14


I've had quite a time trying to come up with a balloon idea for the Twofer challenge #14 since I have no balloon dies. I found a set of Spellbinder speech bubble dies that I thought might work for balloons, but if the challenge police don't consider them to be balloons, I'll disqualify my entry :)

I made a birthday card for an extremely thoughtful and caring neighbor who lives close to us and gives us a helping hand all the time without even being asked, so I like to surprise him with a card and gift on his birthday to let him know we appreciate all the things he does for us. I also made a first birthday card for my friend's grandson who was just born in October and will be celebrating his first Easter.


Here is my "twofer" together.


This card is 5.5 x 5.5 and had to be that size to accommodate the gift inside. I started with a piece of water color paper, and smooshed it with 3 different distress inks, then spattered it with some green alcohol reinker. I sponged some light color on it before embossing with a WRMK ef and then adhered it to a lemon-lime twist card base. The star was hand drawn and I used a GinaMarieDesigns set of birthday dies for the sentiment. The "balloons" showing his birthday age were done with Spellbinder dies and I.O. number dies. I added some fun twine, TE gel star stickers and some green gemstones. OK, you get the idea, I was going for the greens, right? Here's why....


I made an origami star with some money and added it to the inside. I used this star shape to draw the star on the front of the card, so they're both the same size. Look closer inside the center......


I just had to put a smiley face in there just for giggles :) He's on another punched star and a snippet of the green matching the star on the front of the card.


This is for my friend's grandson who will be celebrating his first Easter this year. I printed this adorable colored digital image (unknown) and matched it with some blue and mauve cardstock and some MFT plaid dsp. I placed it on a kraft card base and added the speech bubble "balloon for the sentiment. A few tiny sapphire gemstones were the finishing touch for this one.

I'm also entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge which is "cute."


Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great Wednesday!

Carol

18 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Both fabulous cards love the origami money star a brilliant idea and the cute bear on the Easter one -great idea to use the speech bubbles for balloons
Carol x

Brenda in IN said...

You found a great substitute for the balloons and it looks great. I love that sweet bunny with his bonnet and sweater pulling his car along.

cotnob said...

Two super cards Carol, a clever way to incorporate balloons into your designs.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Both your cards are so well designed. A great use of the bubble to make balloons with them.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Oh my!!!! I'm speechless!!! Wow, wow and wow again!!! :O
You are the Queen of stunning cards! :D So creative!!! I can't believe on how you made the star with money!! I have never seen this technique, so I saw your link and it seems simple enough, but really stunning and useful in a lot of situations!! Thanks so much for sharing!! Great idea to say thanks to your kind neighbour and the smiling face inside is really adorable! :D Love all the details you added on the front, and the balloons with speech bubbles are very creative too, I have never thought to do so! Another fabulous masculine card from you, and your neighbour surely will be amazed!! :D
The second card for your friend's grandson is delightful and the bear with bunny ears looks so cute!! Great design!
Hugs!

Anita in France said...

There's such great texture on your star card, Carol ... and what a great idea to put the birthday age on your 'balloons'! How fun and clever is that folded money star ... especially with the smiley star inside it! Your Easter card is so sweet ... the grid pp matches that cute little image wonderfully! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Such a creative way to fold the money! I think the speech bubble is a great substitute for a balloon. Both cards look great!

Ina G said...

Two spectacular cards Carol. Great thinking and fabulous layouts.

aussie aNNie said...

Clever as ever CArol to incorporate the balloons and all, lovely cards.xx

Darnell said...

I guess I'm the challenge po-po, Carol, so let me clear that up first. I have often in my young life heard the expression "... was written in the comic balloon over Mr. Peabody's head." So you pass mustard with me using your speech shapes as balloons! And what what creative designs you've come up with!

I have to say first that I love the background on your birthday card! It's easy to overlook that with the brilliant stars outside and in! What a clever way to use the balloons to add his age to the card and to give your helpful neighbor some money! He will love it with the smiley face inside! Your second design is adorable! Love that cute bear playing bunny and the way you used pretty plaid panels in the background!

Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #14! Hugs, Darnell

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

There is that money star that you told me about... That is so cool, and I am sure he will be surprised! That sweet Easter image is perfect for a 1st Easter. Wow, you have done some major brain storming on both of these! Love them both. Yay, Darnell! You are okay in my book.

Wendy said...

OMGosh, both cards are amazing, Carol! Love how your mind works! Those speech bubbles are PERFECT to use as balloons! And that sweet bunny card steals the show! He is super cute! Although I must say that I was most taken with your origami star made out of dollar bills! Now that was just flippin amazing! I'm sure your neighbor will love all the hard work you put into that and appreciate it! Good job as always! TFS and have a great day....even if it is raining!

Kara Lynne said...

Two very delightful cards, Carol! I love the gorgeous embossed background and using the balloons to celebrate a helpful neighbor's birthday! The origami star is brilliant! Such a sweet Easter card, and he's perfect with that plaid paper! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

*Vicki* said...

Always happy to come and see your wonderful posts Carol!! I love all of these designs as each one is so creative and cute!! That little bear with the bunny ears is too cute!! Really cool background on your star design as well! Love your use of the balloons! Wow on that origami star to hold something inside!! Really clever and so fun!! Thanks for sharing! HUGS

JD/ Jill said...

Great cards, Carol. And great job with this challenge!

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

What a super adorable take on our "CUTE" challenge this week! Love your design!!! Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge! /Karin

Peanut said...

Absolutely adorable holiday card, Carol. Love the cute little bunny. Thanks for joining us at ATSM.
x Asha

foleysfriend said...

Love the 1st Easter card you created starting with a colored digital image. The image is adorable. Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More!

sue n.