Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Seeing Stars


Another month has rolled around and it's time for the Twofer Card Challenge #13, and the prompt is "stars."


I've been working through my stash and trying to use papers and images I've been hoarding for much too long, so for this challenge I pulled out a long-neglected Simon Says Stamp star border and used it for both cards.


 I found this red border already inlaid with white stars on a red panel, so I decided to go with a patriotic birthday card, since I have 2 friends who celebrate their birthdays on July 4th.  The circle sentiment was printed years ago when I had software that allowed me to easily make circle sentiments, so I die cut it with SB circle and scalloped circle dies and some coordinating dsp snippets and cardstock. The center star was done with a Punch-a-Bunch and I added a brad to the center. The white panel was die cut with a Lil Inker stitched rectangle.

I'm also entering this card into the Seize the Birthday Challenge #159 - anything goes


For my 2nd card, I pretty much stole  borrowed the idea from Heidi's card right here. I loved the whole concept so I had to make one of my own. I used a Stamp n Doodle digital image called "tiger eyes" and colored the eyeballs with an orange glaze pen, dotting the centers with a white gel pen. I created the Darice embossed background much like Heidi's card, but used a platinum ink pad instead of the gold she used on some brown cardstock. I die cut a few orange stars from the Simon Says Stamp border and placed them on the top and bottom and added a printed sentiment....


Here's what the inside looks like with the rest of that printed sentiment. The little heart was recycled from a store-bought card. Now I have that song playing in my head like an ear worm :)

I'm also entering this card into the Cardz4Guyz challenge #213 - "Wild Animals"

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for all the input on the blogger issues. I've come to realize that my internet provider Comcast must have something to do with the glitch along with Google Goofy Chrome because there are others who cannot open hyperlinks in their email either. I've done extensive reading on the internet about this issue but none of the "fixes" they recommend work, so I will just try to be patient until they come up with a fix. It is maddening though not to be able to click a store link that's having a sale, or a link to read a story. I suppose I just take a lot for granted and when it stops working, it's hard to be patient! It all started with a MS update this past weekend and threw me into grumpling mood shortly thereafter.

Edit: After chatting online with a Comcast rep, I learned that switching to "allow" pop-ups (instead of blocking them) in my settings fixed the issue of not being able to open links in my emails. Hopefully this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Have a good week ahead!

Carol

19 comments:

Brenda in IN said...

It took me a while to figure out the second picture with the stars but that is a great way to use the stars. I love the patriotic card. The paper around the circle is so cool.

HilaryJane said...

These cards are really unusual, I love them particularly the tiger xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

FABULOUS cards, love the tiger eyes.
Faith
x

crafty-stamper said...

My post started with both brilliant songs with wild thing going round my head lol.Both brilliant cards love those tiger eyes and great embossed background.The brad on the first fits in perfectly and love the circle sentiment-sorry to hear you haven't found a solution-when I stopped getting email notifications I also lost the reply option on comments left!!!
Carol x

Mrs A. said...

Very clever use of the stars for the second card as your focus is on those cats eyes. Fab card. Hugs Mrs A.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Great ideas for your Two-fers! That tiger is awesome with those eyes, and the R-W-B is such a great layout! Bravo! Thanks for the tip on the links. I will try it out.

cotnob said...

Two super cards Carol, they are both fabulous but I especially like the patriotic one.
I'm glad that you have sorted your comment problem.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wow! These are awesome. I love the way you used that star border by using the negative and positives from the die.

JD/ Jill said...

Wonderful cards for this "twofer" challenge.

aussie aNNie said...

Great cards and I must admit the tiger one took me a while to work out, but seeing the star brads, boing! the blonde worked it out.xxx

Leslie Miller said...

Those tiny stars have a big impact! I love your 4th of July birthday card. I also have a friend with a birthday on that day. Two reasons to celebrate! Your tiger is awesome. Love those eyes and the basket weave embossed background. Very nice! Thank you for playing along with us at Twofer!

Darnell said...

Good thinking to call Comcast, Carol, and I'm glad you were given the solution. It's not an issue that I had and I have Comcast and Chrome, too. We also find that something has been moved or closed or won't open each time there is an update. WHYYYYYYYY? So many of these softwares that we are merrily using for photo editing or opening or InLinkz all of a sudden get updated to something that ... oh, never mind. I can feel my blood pressure rising and I know you know what I mean! Let's go back and look at your awesome cards instead!

That star border die is really wide and very striking! It's perfect for a 4th of July card or 4th of July birthday card! Great use of the found sediment to make an outstanding circular and starry focus pocus! And I love your stol, er, CASEd take on Heidi's card for your second design! That tiger looks REAL and I love that embossed Darice frame with the starry accents! Great sediment, too, which now is resonating all around Blogland, lol! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #13! Hugs, Darnell

Wendy said...

Both cards are super awesome, Carol! Really love the patriotic card and the design of it! The circle sentiment is pretty cool! The lion card was just as amazing! I had to go look at Heidi's card and loved how you created the embossed background panel! Both are such stunning cards! Keep them coming! TFS! Stay warm today as snow is moving in. Gonna be a great day to stamp! :)

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

WOW! You are always so creative and ingenious, my friend!!! :D How cool couple of masculine cards using the star border!! Love so much the denim look of the first one, and the stunning design of the second one! So cool with the tiger and the sentiment split outside and inside! :D Fabulous piece of Art!!
Hugs!

*Vicki* said...

Wow Carol, these are ALL really amazing creations!! That tiger with those eyes really pull me in!! So beautifully done especially with that textured paper!! The star design is stunning with that color combo!! Thanks for sharing your creative ideas! HUGS

Jane Willis said...

I'm humming "Eye of the tiger" now, that tiger card is stunning. Thank you for sharing it with us at Cardz 4 Guyz.

Ashwini Rao said...

Awesome cards, Carol! Love how you've made them, each with its own character! Especially loved the first one - even with the special colors, nothing looks out of place for a birthday card. I really liked it! Thank you so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday challenge!

Brenda said...

Wow, loving these Twofers Carol!!! So fabulous is the first card as a patriotic birthday card, love anything patriotic so I'm all over this one! lol How cool to have birthdays on the 4th of July. I also am in head over heals in love with your second card! Loving that tiger's eyes, but also loving the embossed background. Then you added those cute itty bitty stars and that just balances out this card and finishes it off perfectly! Well done with the challenge my friend. I have yet to even come up with anything. Need to check if the challenge is even open still and see if I can come up with something. Yep, got that song in my head too now. lol Hugs, Brenda

Helen said...

Great cards - thanks for sharing it with us at Cardz 4 Guyz.

Helen x