Friday, June 10, 2022

Birthday Hugs


 While rummaging through my stash, I found several of these lovely hand-crocheted medallions sent to me by a former blogger who passed away several years ago. Her name was Jessi Fogan and her blog was One Crafty Mama. I've used several of them previously, but decided it does no good to hoard beautiful items like this, so I used another one to make this birthday card.
I die-cut a stitched circle of pink to place inside of the medallion and added some die-cut SSS Bella Bloom flowers from pink glitter paper and silver mirror card, adding a drop of black Nuvo pearls to the centers. The butterfly was a die-cut with pink Nuvo pearls added to the center and the sentiment is a pre-printed SSS sentiment backed with some black card.
As for the background - this is one of my favorite ways to use those tiny snippets of cardstock and I think it's called Mosaic. I still have my ancient Xyron machine which adds a complete layer of adhesive to a piece of card. I snipped pieces of matching cardstocks in random fashion and adhered them to the sticky side, then added some pearl embossing powder and heat set it.

I'll enter this into the following challenges:

Seize the Birthday #240 - favorite technique (mosaic)






Thanks for stopping by and make it a great day whatever you do!
R.I.P Jessi, you won't be forgotten💝

Carol

17 comments:

Aquarius said...

Lovely idea to use this crochet motif to make a card in memory of your blogging friend. Great to use things rather than hoard them

Donna said...

Beautiful card and nice memory of your friend in using the crocheted medallion. I like the glittery accents!

*Vicki* said...

I remember Jessi and her crocheted medallions, such a fun crafty lady! What a beautiful card you've made using one of those! LOVE the shattered glass technique of your background! WTG on using those bity scraps too!! Such a beautiful design and colors here my friend! HUGS

Dotty Jo said...

How lovely to see/hear you talking about Jessi! I was only thinking about her yesterday as she was one of my teamies at The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers and is much missed by us all Your card is lovely and she would have loved it.
I'm dropping by to say please take a look at the May winners post at Let's Squash It! Hugs, Jo x

crafty-stamper said...

Love your beautiful mosaic background and the lovely crotcheted medallion and I agre what is the point of hoarding these beautiful things much better to use them
Carol x

Mariann Jakobsen said...

Wow this is so beautiful!! A great way to use leftover papers.

NJ Stamping Queen said...

I love your mosaic background! What a fabulous way to use of scraps. The crocheted medallion is lovely as well. Thanks for inspiring me today!
:) Marie

Wendy said...

Such a gorgeous card, Carol! I bet Jessi is smiling down at you for thinking of her and using one of her medallions. It is the perfect compliment to your card! What a fabulous background and I love the colors! Well done, my friend! Have a great weekend! Hugs~

Barbara said...

I wish that I had seen your idea years sooner. My Mom would crochet doilies too. All of her children had them and sorry to say that we only put them out when she came over. Since she is gone this would have a great card for my sisters as a remembrance. I guess it may not be too late to do one. Thanks for the unique idea and for linking up with us at Seize the Birthday Challenge.

Brenda in IN said...

This is just beautiful. I love the mosaic look and the sparkle paper and silver mirror. What a lovely combination. How nice you were able to use Jessi's gift to you.

Kim S said...

Such a beautiful card for that medallion! And what a beautiful background you created. It's all just lovely with the flowers and butterfly.

Jane said...

Loving all the sparkle and that mosaic background. Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

This is very pretty! I love your wonderful mosaic with the shimmer and shine in just the right amounts. The crochet piece is a wonderful addition and a great memory. you are right that it is doing no good being saved. Your card is fantastic!

Maria said...

How lovely and creative! Love the mosaic background, so pretty! And, so wonderful to use the crocheted piece from your friend!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I don't know why I lost this post!! WOW!! Your mosaic looks amazing and really stunning!!! Such gorgeous effect!! I have to try this technique!! Love the pink tones and the glittered pieces, they give a very classy look to the whole card and matches so well with the flowers on the fabulous hand-crocheted medallion!! Very well done on using this gift from a passed away friend!It's an unique card and I'm sure it will shine in the challenges! Great Job, well done!!
Sending big hugs, peace and love across the miles!

Nancy said...

Your mosaic card is so pretty and how touching that the medallion was made by a fellow cardmaker. So sad that she has since passed! I love how you have carried the design and colors throughout and how well it is balanced! Thanks for being with us at Seize the Birthday!

JD/ Jill said...

Lovely card! A very nice way to pay tribute to your friend. She is probably looking down and smiling at your card!