Monday, May 25, 2015

Happy Memorial Day


Happy Memorial Day!

Today America honors her fallen veterans who served our country and paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

My dad and my uncle were both Navy veterans, while my father-in-law served in the Army and my brother-in-law served as a proud Marine. They're all gone from our lives, but never forgotten. I never got to meet my husband's father, but I miss my dad, my uncle, and my brother-in-law all the time - especially on Memorial Day.

With the drawdown of our troops, the closing of OWH (Operation Write Home) will take place later this year, so I've been on a mission to fill my final box of cards and send them in by the deadline of August 1st. I'm using stamps and supplies that I've acquired through the years specifically intended for cards for our military and OWH. 
Today's card uses a stamped image from Heartfelt Creations that I borrowed from my friend Mary Anne some time ago. For some reason I hoarded it, probably because I liked it so much. (I worked in flag manufacturing for the better part of my life, so that may have something to do with it?) It's time to let it go now, and send it in for someone else to enjoy. I used a Hero Arts sentiment with a navy cardbase, and cut the panels with Lil Inker stitched rectangles and this was done. I'm going to miss making cards like this, but I thought it was ideal to post it on Memorial day, since I'm especially missing my heroes today.

Thanks for stopping by, and I wish you a great day of remembrance for your loved ones as well.

Carol

12 comments:

Linda said...

Perfect! So crisp!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

This looks amazing, Carol! Just remember that I have the stamp anytime you need to use it. My dad was a navy man, and he served at the same time as his other two brothers. I always remember the story of how their mom was the only house in town with a 3 star banner on her front door. Must have been so hard for her.

Donna Hanley said...

Carol, this is a fantastic card to post today. It will seem strange not to make cards for OWH anymore. My Dad and FIL were both in the Army and fought in WWll. We talk about them just about every day but for some reason I miss them both so very much, as you said, especially on Memorial Day every year. Enjoy the rest of the long weekend.

jimlynn said...

A sensational card on a day to remember all of our military - past and present.
Awesome stamp and card!!
Lynn

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Carol, such a wonderful stamped image - perfect for Memorial Day.
Pauline
x

Jenny L said...

Hi Carol,
what a super creation, and just right as a memorial to the brave men and women who fought to give us our freedom that we now sometimes take for granted.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Beautiful card and great thought for all the soldiers, expecially for these of your family and for the American's memorial day.
In Italy on April 25 we have celebrated the Resistance and the day of the liberation from the dictatorship, when the Americans are disembarked here... :) Thanks to the soldiers also for our freedom...

Brenda said...

This card gives me the chills Carol! I love, love, love this image of the flag. It is just beautiful and the sentiment is just perfect, especially for today. Our fallen will never be far from our minds, whether they were from our families or just a lone soldier who gave all for his/her country. The soldiers past and present who serve, protect and defend this great Nation will always have a special place in my heart right along with my own Hero. Big hugs, Brenda

Jean said...

This is indeed a beautiful tribute card. I am sure that there are many people who appreciated the lovely cards you have made for OWH over the years.
Jean x

Stampsnob. said...

A beautiful tribute...........Lis

aussie aNNie said...

Wonderful patriotic card Carol...it is so appropriate for the special day. My dad was in the Polish army which then merged with the British army and he still talks about things to this day when awake.xx{aNNie My Personal Blog}

JD/ Jill said...

A wonderful tribute card, Carol, Hubby was in the Navy, My dad in the Army and served overseas during World War II, My favorite uncle was in the Air Force. Nephew in the Marines...served In Iraq (twice)