Saturday, April 4, 2015

Watercolored Masculine Birthday Card


Recently I finished up a Strathmore watercolor pad, and while saving the chipboard backing for other projects, I turned the front cover over and loved the bubbled texture of the crisp white panel. I decided to try making something with it, so I dug out my long-neglected watercolor crayons and just started drawing lines with a ruler. I used colors of bright blue, lime green and a soft gray and made a plaid pattern, then lightly spritzed it with water to soften the colors, but not spread them too much, as I wanted to keep the plaid design. After it dried, I cut it using Lil Inker stitched rectangles, and then found a piece of matching Bazzill textured cardstock that matched. I die cut the SSS word "happy" from the cover of another paper pad as the heavy weight of the paper makes these thin die cuts much easier to work with. The "birthday" was done with a SNSS die and a snippet of plain dsp, and I colored the candle with a fluorescent yellow Copic. The stars were done with Punch-a-Bunch and SU! punches, and the final touch was to add a few mini star sequins. My BIL has a birthday coming up soon, and this will be his card.


Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Carol

11 comments:

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Great recycling!! Love this soft effect!
The word is fabulous with the little flame and love the stiching frames!
Happy Easter weekend!

Jean said...

Fabulous idea for your background Carol, it works a treat. I love the birthday die cut as well and your choice of colours make it perfect for a mans card.
Jean x

JD/ Jill said...

Great way to recyle...(need to go take a closer look at some of my craft room stuff!) smile...
Your background turned out so nice...so creative...made a very nice card!

Linda said...

I love to recycle stuff for cards as well. Well done!

jimlynn said...

Cool looking background and love the idea of recycling! Great plaid looking patterned you created too. Your brother in law will love it.
Lynn

Donna Hanley said...

What an amazing plaid pattern you made here. I absolutely love it, Carol. I also like the two different parts of the sentiment . The main stars and the little scattered ones are ideal embellishments for this one. Have a fun weekend.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This looks like such a simple card until I here how it came about... lots of this and that. It works out great though, so soft yet masculine.

Benzi said...

Now, aren't you clever and such a good way to recycle, too. Great design for your BIL's card...one he is sure to like a lot.

debby4000 said...

Love your fabulous card, perfect for a mans card.
Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Luv
Debby

Brenda said...

Well aren't you just the clever gal?! I love this card Carol, the watercolor plaid lines are so masculine. Great die cut sentiments and the stars finish this card off perfectly. Hugs, Brenda

Jessi Fogan said...

WOW! The texture is awesome & it's just blended perfectly, Carol!