Sunday, December 9, 2018

Masculine Christmas Cards


I used up just about all the Christmas designer paper I've had in my stash this year, so I recently treated myself to a few new sheets that I found at my local scrapbook store. This Sasparilla/Gold Rush plaid by October Afternoon caught my eye right away and I thought it would make some great masculine  cards. I  had quite a few snippets of sparkly gold and black card stock on my table, so I used a Frantic Stamper Deer Bust die to cut a piece of black and sparkly gold  and placed the black negative into the gold panel and vice/versa. I cut both the image and mat with stitched ovals and added a piece of that gorgeous plaid paper for the background, placing it all on a Soft Stone card base. The sentiment was done with a very old retired SU! stamp, heat-embossed with white ep on a basic gray panel, then die cut with a stitched circle die and a matted with a black punched circle. I wanted the sentiment to be small to let the deer bust take center stage.


I decided to make that 2nd card right away since I already had the deer bust cut and inlaid into the black panel. I wanted a slightly different look, so instead of stitched ovals, I used stitched rectangle dies to cut the image panel, plaid panel, and Hello Honey card base. The sentiment was done with a very old wooden stamp (no name) that I've had since I began stamping years ago. I heat-embossed it with white ep on basic grey card stock, and fishtailed the ends with a hexagon punch. The sparkly gold paper sheds pieces of glitter every now and then, so just ignore those random sparkly dots on both cards! They're like magnets to the card stock :)

I'm going to enter these challenges:


Snippets Playground #341 - must use snippets


Just For Fun December 2018 Challenge - card for any holiday

Tuesday Throwdown #420 - anything goes


Inkspirational Challenge #175 - designer's choice anything Christmas


Thanks for stopping by and I wish you a great week ahead!

Carol

25 comments:

Liz said...

Two wonderful cards, Carol. The plaid paper makes a perfect background for the lovely deer bust die cuts. xx

jimlynn said...

Gorgeous!!! That patterned paper is so pretty and I can see the sparkle and shine of the gold and black. VERY, VERY pretty1
Lynn

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

You have done so well buying that sheets of papers, they are just perfect for masculine cards! I'm not too much good in masculine project, because I have always to add bits and bobs, while they prefer clean cards as yours :D These two are both gorgeous, love how you used the glittered cardstock with black, it gives a very dramatic and impressive look to your cards! Well done on using the diecut and the leftover!! :) Love the sentiment in the stitched circle with the star of the first card, it remembers me the label of a masculine dress
Hugs!

Claire said...

Wow that sparkly gold paired with the black and plaid looks amazing. I like both the positive and the negative deers, they both make fab masculine cards. Very stylish x

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

This is a very handsome design. I really like that die and the sparkle paper. I am pretty sure I have the 8x8 version of that paper pad. I have been hoarding the plaid papers, but should really just use them!

I am wondering where a local scrapbook store is. I only know of big box stores.

Thanks for playing in JFF’s December challenge!

aussie aNNie said...

Magnificent male card for Christmas, love the sparkle and shine on it too.

Ina G said...

I'm loving these two cards Carol especially with the tartan paper in the background. Have made several cards with the stag and hope I remember to case your card come Christmas next year - if that's ok with you. All my Christmas craft is put away but may just get them out to make one more.

Verna Angerhofer said...

These cards are both so awesome. I love the gold especially that you used on both of them. Really dresses them up.

Linby said...

Such a dramatic card I love it. The plaid paper looks fab.
Thanks for sharing with us at TMR.
Lynn x
DT

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Look at all the challenges you were able to cover with these great masculine cards. You are truly on your game!

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Carol, a super masculine design.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

April said...

I love your male cards. The plaid looks great! TFS at Just For Fun Stamps. We hope to see you again soon!

Brenda in IN said...

This is the most perfect plaid I've ever seen for masculine cards. The stag is also a great idea and you combined them so beautifully. Using the negative and making two cards is so crafty of you.

Wendy said...

OMGosh, they are both awesome cards, Carol! Love the deer! I am a sucker for plaid and love the colors that are in it! WOW! Keep them coming!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

SUPER cards Carol, perfect masculine cards, love the matching paper and stag background.
Faith
x

*Vicki* said...

Wow I just LOVE these designs Carol! The plaid papers look incredible and I love the deer head die and how you've gotten the use from the negitive as well! Brilliantly designed masculine cards!! Thanks for sharing! HUGS

Di said...

Two absolutely wonderful cards Carol - love that you also used the 'waste' for a second card. These are just perfect for anyone with a trace of Scottish in their ancestry!

Hugs

Di xx

Janice M said...

Great masculine cards!! Love that plaid I would have grabbed some of it too. I need to dig this die it and use it again.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous masculine cards love the plaid paper and fabulous die-cut deer
Carolx

Andreja said...

What a beautiful "celebration" card you made :-))
Thank you for join us at The Male Room. Looking forward to seeing you the next time, too.

cm said...

Your cards are magnificent with the stately stag's head and striking plaid! Handsome AND gorgeous! So thrilled you shared these festive delights in the Inkspirational and Happy Little Stampers galleries!
~carol

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

It's me again Carol, so happy to repeat these are cards are just wonderful, perfect masculine cards. Thank you so much for joining us in our Celebrate challenge at The Male Room this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

Faith The Male Room DT
Daffodil Cards {My Blog}

The Male Room
themaleroomchallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk

K M Meena Herale said...

Lovely work, Thank you for Joining us at Happy Little stampers and waiting to see next time.

Hugs
Meena HLS DT

Dwie lewe rÄ…czki said...

Lovely card. Thank you very much for joining our challenge at Carftyhazelnut's patterned paper Challenges.
Hugs, Iwona

Lady Joyful said...

Great masculine Christmas cards. I love that you were able to get two for one with them. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT (PS, Sorry it's taken so long for me to comment - life has been hectic these past months!)