Friday, August 14, 2015

Inspired by a Good Book


Today's card was inspired by a great book that I recently read. 

When our children were growing up, we often went to Vet Stadium to watch the Philadelphia Phillies play. It wasn't long before Glenn Wilson became a favorite player of mine. He was an amazing and enthusiastic athlete on the field, and we all loved watching him play. We were very fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet him in person back then. We haven't been to a baseball game in years, and I decided to do a search to see what he's been up to since retiring from baseball. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that he'd written a book, so I immediately got a copy and read it the same day I received it. His book is called "Headed Home" and it's such a wonderful and inspiring story that I'd recommend it for anyone to read.

The August challenge for Words2ScrapBy is to make a card that's inspired by a book, so I chose Glenn's book! I used the House Mouse image because it's a baseball player, and the red & white herringbone background was done with strips of red & white cardstock to represent the Phillies home uniforms. I embossed it with arrows, and added a sentiment (that combines with the background) to represent the book title. The #12 was Glenn's jersey number, and the little gold-embossed "believe" oval at the bottom is something that you'll understand once you read the book yourself. I added some gold mini stars and white mini brads to finish the card.

I'm also going to enter this into the Snippets Playground #189 (must use snippets) as well as the House Mouse HMFMC#200 challenge, where I've opted for the "anything goes" choice.


Thanks for stopping by and I wish you a great weekend!

Carol


24 comments:

Unknown said...

GO Phillie's!!! I so remember Glenn Wilson (cute guy). Great story and what a cute card (to go along with the cute ball player). Thanks for the memories.

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Carol, such a wonderful red and white design.
Pauline
x

Heather said...

A gorgeous card Carol, a great design and colour combo.....your little Hopper is beautiful coloured with an adorable fun sentiment!!

hugs
Heather xx
Thanks so much for playing along with House Mouse & Friends Challenge.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a great story to go with your card today, Carol. Great card too with all those details and special touches!

Snoopy said...

Such a sweet card! Thanks so much for joining us at House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge. Hope to see you again on the next challenge!

Hugs,
Snoopy :D​

Di said...

Fabulous card and I just love how you tied everything together with Glenn!

Hugs

Di xx

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful creation, colours and design.xx
 {The Journey Is The Start  aNNie  my personal blog}

Barb said...

Hi Carol, What a great card this is. The House Mouse is really cute. I really enjoyed reading your inspiration for making it and the significance of the colours you've used.

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about American popular sports. We did go to a baseball match once in Philadelphia when we were visiting relatives who were living there. We really enjoyed the experience. I'm a football (soccer) fan. Barbxx

Barb said...

Me again, What year was Glen Wilson playing. We went in the mid 80's. Barbxx

Donna Hanley said...

Carol what a marvelous job you did with this card. It's sounds like a great book so you honored Glenn Wilson in a most lovely way. Love the little touches of stars and brads. Have a fun weekend.

Jean said...

Hi Carol, I don't know anything about American sports, (not much about English ones come to that)but I love this card you have made. The colours look great and so do all the little finishing touches that tie in so well. Thanks for sharing your inspiration for it as well.
Jean x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I'm not a sportive person (and obviously I haven't read the book), but I can see that you love so much this baseball player and your card has a great look, it remember so well an uniform! Love the clean design and the colours! Great work!
I think that you should send this card to Glenn Wilson... :)
Have a great weekend, hugs!

jimlynn said...

Great memories and know those were fun times in your life. I'll have to read this book. Sounds interesting.
This is the first HM image I ever got and still love it. Cute, cute card and love those gold stars you added.
Lynn

Sybrina K said...

Hi, Carol!

Don't know which I love more -- your card or the story behind it. So, I'll tie the two together. :)

Your attention to detail on your card is amazing! But, I'm even more in awe by how each element was chosen to specifically reflect an aspect of Glenn Wilson's story. I am so glad that you selected a title different than the ones on our list. :)

Thanks so much for joining our book-inspired challenge at Words 2 Scrap By. You absolutely rocked this month's challenge! :)

StampTramps said...

Such an awesome card, Carol, and a really interesting post to read, also!

Susan (rainy) said...

Wonderful sweet card and what a great story to go along with it. TFS, Carol!

Beth Brovold said...

Fabulous card...beautifully done!! Thank you for celebrating with us at House Mouse for our 200th challenge...good luck!
Take care,
Beth

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

I just love the way you tied everything together, Carol. The card is so awesome, and I am glad for how much pleasure this brought you. Go Phillies!

BobbisTreasure said...

Beautifully colored, and I love how you coordinated the embossing and the background paper! Thanks for joining us at Words 2 Scrap By!!

Sue said...

Carol, your card and story are both wonderful! LOVE the background you created for your little baseball player. Thanks for joining us at the House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge again and sharing this wonderful card.

Hugs
Sue

Dorte said...

Such a lovely card....great card design and wonderful colours.
Thanks so much for joining us at House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge. Hope to see you again on the next challenge!
Dorte x

Stampsnob. said...

Cool to have a personal story to go along with this little charmer .......Lis

JD/ Jill said...

Cute card made with that neat image. I have that stamp and usually use to make a card for my Grandson who goes to the Phillies games now. Like you It's been a while since we been to one their games.

Sybrina K said...

Hi, Carol!

Wanted to let you know that you really knocked it out of the park with this card! Congrats on winning our August challenge at Words 2 Scrap By!

We'll be publishing the winner's post on W2SB and contacting you about our August prize package. :)

So glad you joined us for our book-inspired challenge.