Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hexagons, Chevrons & Hearts


Here's my card for the OWH mid-week throwdown to use Hexagons. I made this card a while ago, and had it in a folder with a lot of other cards that were never posted but it fits the challenge perfectly. All products used are from SU! and the colors are island indigo and pool party.


Here's a card I'm entering into the Mod Squad Valentine challenge which has 2 parts this week. Part 1 is to use at least 1 heart, and part 2 is to use glitter. I am not a fan of glitter by any means, but I did have a foam glittered heart sticker in my stash that I popped on this card to meet the challenge. The chevron ribbon is from May Arts, and the little banners are from SU!'s banner blast done in turquoise and real red. I decided to string the banners individually in a vertical design instead of the mostly-used horizontal position. I used matching twine to "hang" them, and made the layered heart with my Cricut, running the white heart through the paper crimper. The background was done with a Sizzix hearts & curlique ef set.

The sun is out today, and although it's still pretty cold, I hope it will help melt some of this ice away! So many folks living close to me have been without power since the ice storm hit yesterday, and all I can say is bravo! to all those utility workers who are out there working around the clock in this horrible weather trying to restore power to everyone as quickly as possible! What they do can't be an easy job!

Thanks for stopping by today and make it a great day!

Carol

17 comments:

Lori Kobular said...

Love your hexagon flower card!! Very pretty!

Benzi said...

Cute cards, Carol. I love the different patterns on your hexagon behind the flower and the banner is super on the next card.

You're really getting some work done in that craft room with all your bad weather. Hope you don't lose power, too.

Laura Davis said...

Beautiful work!
Laura

Lee said...

Carol what lovely cards!! I ADORE the aqua and white with a pop of red for a valentine color combo!! And perfect little glitter heart! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Mod Squad!

Donna Hanley said...

Hi Carol, I'm glad to see you have not lost your power. Thanks for the shout out for the Utility workers. A lot of people don't understand how hard they work under terrible conditions. I love this hexagon card. I've been trying to come up with a card for this challenge, but I'm finding it to be a real challenge for me. YOu did an outstanding job. I adore your second card. You are a real wiz kid with those little banners. You find many a way to present them. Hooray for you. Wishing you a good day.

Irish Cherokee said...

Both cards are really cute. Glad you found the hexagon card. Its too nice to be in a folder somewhere.

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love your beautiful card designs. That darling red glittery heart is super with that last one. I think that is my favorite design.

jimlynn said...

Carol, both of these are wonderful! Love that big flower and the hexagon embossing on the first one. The second one with the shiny heart and the banners done that was is so creative and pretty! Fantastic!

Stay warm up that way!!!

Lynn

Sybrina K said...

Carol, Both cards are lovely. I especially like the monochromatic flower with its hexagonal bottom layer of petals. Very clever!

JD/ Jill said...

Both these cards are really pretty and very well done...I especially like the first one...Pretty flower!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What gorgeous cards Carol!! I just love the texture and the monochromatic colors with hexagons on the first card is beautiful!! Love it!!

MaryH said...

I'll echo Lynn and say both are wonderful! #1 made me think "quilts" and I loved your pretty flower covering the join. That one would have to be my fav, just 'cause of the quilt thing. Liked #2 very much too, and what a great idea to do your banner as you did. That is a really pretty color combo, and the tiny heart was just precious. Glad you haven't lost power (and hope your roof is still holding up too!). I was worried about you, when we were seeing all that snow news! Stay warm, hope no more shoveling will be in your future! TFS & Hugs

Susan (rainy) said...

Two great cards, Carol. I love the little banners set with the chevron ribbon on your second card. Such a fun design.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Oh my gawd! I totally need to CASE that hexagon flower card. I just love it! I love the banner flag card too. I think it was a great idea to hang them they way you did. It makes it feel sort of nautical. I just found a couple of foam glitter hearts in my stash. I've tried them on several cards but they haven't found a home yet. I like the one here, it give is a nice pop of red to match the wee heart on the banner.

Cat Tidwell said...

How awesome! Love the banners like that too! Thanks so much for playing along in our challenge at the Mod Squad Blog this week!

Sharon Underwood said...

I saw this on Mod Squad and had to comment! Love those colors together. Your card is beautiful.

Linda said...

Yummy card...especially the flower one with those sweet tags!