Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Who Doesn't Like a Red Ferrari?


My son will be celebrating his 40th birthday next month, so I made this card for him. When he was a youngster, he always had a fondness for luxury sports cars, and collected models of them. He was drawn to them at car shows too and always wanted his picture taken next to them. I searched on Google for a luxury car that was made in 1974, and was inspired by the CAS-ual Friday stamp set WTF. Don't be offended - let me explain! LOL I have that CASual Fridays stamp set, but the letters were just too big to stamp on this card, so I die cut them with my Quickutz, and computer generated the sentiment. I underlined the W, T, and F with red, just in case my son thinks I'm suggesting something else with that commonly used acronym :) WTF=Who's Turning Forty! I used a MS fence punch for the borders, covering up all but the very edges, and added some smoky slate chevron ribbon. {click to enlarge} The red metallic paper has been in my stash forever, and the Candi dots are the the shiny elements that qualify this card for the Shopping our Stash challenge #138.

This card makes use of a mis-printed picture that was intended for the card above. I clearly forgot to adjust the portrait and landscape settings, but I saved the photo, figuring I could use it for something! Well I recently discovered a new blog called the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers where the first challenge is "A is for anti-valentine!" It sounded like fun, and I got the idea to use this picture to make my husband a funny Valentine! I had the printed elements in my stash, so I layered them on the red heart, along with some heart-shaped brads and gemstones. The letters were done with my Quickutz. So what do you think? Is this snarky enough? Between my son's card and my husband's card, I should go hide in the corner for being so baaaaad :) If they both smile when they open these cards, then it was all worth it :)

Wishing you a red Ferrari kind of day................vrooooooommmmm!!!

Carol

19 comments:

Benzi said...

Vrooooooommmmmm! Wow, Carol, you really came up with good birthday and valentine cards. They'll probably want the REAL thing now, for sure. You did a very good job with these eye-catching cards. Of course, they had to be red. Very cool!!!!

Guess what? We had snow this morning. Not much but enough to blanket the ground and be very pretty. The sun is out and it is melting.

jimlynn said...

Don't think you're being baaaaaad at all!!! TOO fun and cute! Loving that fire engine red Ferrari too! Both are terrific! Really like the way you used the fence punch for the border on that first one.
As far as the Ferrari goes.....um.....I'll take a Corvette!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Love your snarky card! And the WTF card too. OF COURSE it means Who's Turning Forty, who is the silly one who thinks otherwise?? I like how you used the fence punch for your borders on the bday card--that's just so clever!

Irish Cherokee said...

NICE! Good one. Vrooooommmmmm!!!
Ithink they will be pleased.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

These are just fantastic, Carol! I stamped off some of those WTF stamps at our L&L get together, also I happen to have a need for a 30th, and you just inspired me! Thanks! Love all of the luscious red.

Diane said...

What a fabulous card Carol.

Hugs Diane

scrappymo! said...

Vrooooom is right! They are hoit, fast cars, sure to be loved by any male of the species!!!

Two more great cards, Carol.

JD/ Jill said...

Way to go...great valentines. I think they will both love these cards that you especially made for them...Nicely done!

Donna Hanley said...

I can see the smiles and laughing already. Both are fantastic and yes your second card is snarky enough. I don't think you are bad at all, but exhibiting your big, fun personality. Can't ask for more fun than these two cards. Love them both.

Sue said...

Especially in bright red!! They are going to love these cards that you created, and they are going to be smiling ear to ear when they open them. A lot of work, but so worth it!

Hugs
Sue

MaryH said...

Oh you are bad to THE BONE Girl! I had to laugh at the WTF. Especially after our recent conversation! Good use of that for your specific card and he is going to just love his new sports car. Bet he'll smile too! It's perky, sparkly, and just darned cute. Loved the 2nd one too, and yeah, thnk it's snarky enough (what does snarky mean anyway? Better go check that I understand the term). You are making some good use of your housebound time, Miss Carol. I'm off to catch up a couple other of your cards that I've missed. Hugs & TFS. Stay warm.

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

Carol, be bad. Be snarky! We love it all. Great use of the misprinted picture to tease your hubs. Thanks for joining us on our first snarky outing!

Lindsey said...

Love these two cards! The birthday one is just too perfect. And what a fine, snarky valentine for your husband. So glad you joined us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for our very first challenge!

Donna said...

Fan freakin tastic! I love them both, I love the WTF for who's turning forty and the anti valentine!
Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers for our very first challenge!!

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

Way to use a mistake print. Great job. Thanks for joining our first challenge at SoSS.

Anonymous said...

These are both fabulous, Carol! I have such a hard time with masculine cards, and these are perfect. Love how you turned the "WTF" into something fun, and I'm betting your son and hubby get good laughs out of these.

Chris Dring said...

These are so snarky and perfect! Thanks for playing along with our first challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Jessi Fogan said...

What fun guy cards!! I love them. And what a cool way to use what started as a mistake. I'm so glad you came to play with our first-ever Snarky Sisters challenge!

Karen Schroeder said...


Fantastic snarky card! I want that Ferrari! Thanks for joining in the first challenge at Snarky Sisters!