Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mid Week Throwdown & a Sketch

Here's a fun card I made for the Stars & Stamps mid-week throwdown. The theme is "miss you." I rarely make "missing you" cards for kids, so this is one a military parent can send home to their children. The image is by Hambo stamps, and I colored it with Copics. I have so many strips of white cardstock left over from trimming and wanted to use them, so I came up with this idea to make a zig-zag border. I colored the pieces with flourescent Copics in 3 colors after punching them with the EK punch. I just laid some adhesive down on a 1-1/2" scrap of cardstock, and laid the zig-zag strips down close to each other in a pattern. I trimmed the edges straight afterward, and the piece that was left over was adhered to the top of the stamped image to pull it all together. The bottom mat for the image is white, and I just went around the edges with the blunt edge of the purple Copic. This was fun to make and I'm loving those Flourescent Copic markers!
This was made for todays SC341 sketch challenge. I won this unicorn digi image from Lyn of Spyders Corner/dragonsmoore and printed it on Neenah cardstock, and colored it with Copics. Unfortunately I had to trim some of the image off the bottom to make it fit my card, but I think it still looks OK. The sentiment is by G Studio and was stamped with SU Basic Grey ink. The paper is BG granola and I added 4 mini brads to the sides.
Thanks for stopping by today, and I'll be back tomorrow with another Crazy4Cocoa challenge.

Carol

15 comments:

JD/ Jill said...

Both great cards...I really like the way you made that zig zag border...great inspiration...I'd like to case that....

Jen M said...

Super cute miss. You card! I love how you made the zig zag border!

jimlynn said...

Both are great. Lovely card with the horse image. And that first card is fabulous! LOVE that zig zag!
Cute and clever.
Lynn

Susan (rainy) said...

Great cards, Carol. Love all the zig-zags. Very cool design. And the shading is so beautifully done on the unicorn card!

redwasher1 said...

Both cards are fabulous!! But that top one really caught my eye!!! What a cutie!!!

Marlene said...

I would have never guessed those zig zags were colored with copics! I've seen the fluorescent copics but have always passed on them. Now that I see how great this looks, I may have to give them a second look!

I am having a caption contest on my blog, if you're interested!

Spyder said...

Yes the zig-zag border is brill, look like plastic, love it! and There's Unicorn!! Never mind about his feet, I can't draw them! I might have to borrow this one!!!
(Lyn)

Diane Jaquay said...

How CUTE is that caterpillar?!! Great cards, Carol!

Betty Wright said...

Carol, both cards are super cute and fabulous! Great sketch and colors, too! Hope you are doing great!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

I love your zig zag border Carol! Copic markers are so handy & fun to work with! Great card - Thanks for playing in our challenge at Operation Write Home!

Denise Marzec said...

Love all the bright zig-zags on that first one...so fun! Love that sweet image and the star embellishments on the second! :)

Unknown said...

Love your coloring on the caterpillar.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Glad I don't have to shoe shope for either of these guys! Love them both, but the centepede made me smile!

Benzi said...

Carol, you are really zigging and zagging and that looks super. The worm is just too, too cute. How great that you won the unicorn image, too. Good job on the card.

Elise said...

Oh, dear! Ohhhhhh, DEAR! These ARE fabulous! Oh, Carol - YOU are a gal after my own heart - I am LOVIN' your color work AND paper play - THESE are terrific! {I just MADE some "miss you" card for my brood - they've been visiting my FIL for a little too long now and I'm REALLY feeling it!} WONDERFUL work, sweet friend! xoxoxo!