Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sketch it Twice!

I had time to work on 2 sketch challenges today. First up is this week's Stars & Stamps sketch # 53 found here. OWH is requesting spring-themed cards, so I pulled out these soft colored papers that remind me of spring. Yes, I am actually using one of my all-time favorite retired designer papers called Afternoon Tea! I'm so proud of myself for doing that! {I have this painful sensation every time I cut into a piece of Afternoon Tea designer paper.......I need help!}The solid colors are Wasabi and Groovy Guava (also retired.) For the image panel I used a Kitchen Sink Multi Step Ivy stamp set and used 4 different colors of green ink. (Memento Cottage Ivy, Bamboo Leaves, SU Handsome Hunter and Wasabi.) The sentiment is by Hero Arts and I used markers to color it before stamping. The Wasabi panel was embossed using a SU square lattice ef, while the Guava panel was embossed using the Swiss Dots ef. I have but a few precious snippets of Guava ribbon, so I used some here.
This card was done for The Sweet Stop SSS92 sketch challenge found here. For this one I used SU! Concord Crush and Pear Pizzazz card stock and dp's. The stamp is a retired CTMH set that Heidi sent to me this week! (Thanks my sweet friend) I stamped it using Concord Crush and Wasabi. I colored the stem with a Tombow marker and extended it a bit into the cluster of leaves. The berries and leaves were coated with Glossy Accents to give them a little sparkle. The ribbon was another gift from Heidi that I received for Christmas. I love that it's glittered but that also means this card won't be appropriate to send to OWH. The sentiment was computer generated and punched with SU!'s word window and fancy label punches. The "faux" brads were made by punching cardstock and coating them with glossy accents. All dp and cardstock is by SU!
That will do it for me today. It's brutally cold outside today, so I'm headed to the kitchen to wrap up making a big pot of home-made chicken pot pie next! Stay warm, and thanks for stopping by! I'll be back soon!

Carol

14 comments:

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

What time is the pot-pie ready? LOL! I can't get warm and we are watching the needle on the oil guage slide in the empty direction. Brrrrrrr! They say tomorrow is suppose to be worse. I just had to come and create something before I jump back under my down throw. These are two beauties, Carol. I get a little freaky when I use some of my very favorite papers also. It can be very stressful knowing that unless it is on Ebay, you can't get anymore. It will be okay, step away from the paper!

Susan S said...

Beautiful card. just lovely

Sue from Oregon said...

Pretty cards...and I am the same about some of my SU! retired DP. Darn I hate to part with it LOL!

airbornewife said...

I feel your pain cutting into Afternoon Tea DSP.. I hate to use it on a card because I know it will be all gone. Your card is beautiful.

~ Pam

dolcreations said...

Your cards are lovely.I love that glittery ribbon you used with the image! Very pretty!

Benzi said...

Ooh, Carol...the cards are fabulous. I absolutely flipped when I opened your blog and saw that first card. Oh, the pain of using that paper and ribbon. Maybe you will be able to find it somewhere. The ivy is gorgeous and I love that sentiment. I know Spring is out there somewhere.

Your second card is a beauty, also. I love the glossy accents. They are such a wonderful addition.

O.K., I don't have snow but I do have a nasty cold. I haven't had colds in years and had two already this winter. Of course, I make up for it by having allergy problems. Can't win.

Bundle up and have some of that Chicken Pot Pie for me. I almost never make a dish with chicken because my hubby won't eat it.

StampTramps said...

I love your cards! The colors on the spring card are gorgeous and I love the lattice embossing folder. Very pretty. Also, if you make your own dough/noodles for your pot pie, count me in! I haven't had any real Pa. Dutch pot pie in ages.

StampTramps said...

Carol, I love your cards! The colors and papers on the first card are beautiful and I see why you have trouble taking a scissors to them. I love the lattice embossing folder. Want it bad..... Also, I haven't had any real Pa. Dutch pot pie in ages, I hope you're making your own noodles, coz I'll be there in about 30 minutes....

Denise Marzec said...

Oh Carol! These are purrrrr-dy!

LeAnne said...

Very pretty, Carol! I wish I knew of some therapy for you as you cut into that Afternoon Tea DP!!! And I don't think I have ANY Groovy Guava ribbon left...or Soft Sky! Wish they would bring back those colors! It is nice seeing some fresh springy cards!

Julie said...

Beautiful cards, Carol! Glad to know I'm not the only one that hoards the retired dps! Thanks for playing along in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

Anke said...

Beautiful cards Carol, so lovely.

Hugs
Anke

JD/ Jill said...

You have company, Carol, there are some SU papers I don't want to cut either. But they look so nice on your cards, so it was worth it.
I like the PURPLE ribbon on your card (Or did you say, Plum) either way it's pretty. I know purple is your favorite color.

Paula S. said...

Two beautiful cards! You did a great job on this week's OWH sketch challenge.