Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Multi Challenge Card for a Cause

Here's the color challenge for today over at Create with Connie & Mary CCMC133. The colors are Pear Pizzaz, So Saffron, Baja Breeze and Chocolate Chip. It's been ages since I did any color challenges, but I needed a to make a card and I had these colors on hand.
I'm sorry that the colors on this card look so weird, but after using 2 cameras, taking photos in a photo box and outside in daylight, I cannot get these colors to look natural for some reason. I played around with the colors, brightness, tint and contrast, and yet this is the best I can come up with. *sigh* It really looks much better IRL, but you'll have to trust me on that one!
Anyhoo........this card is also for the StampinB's challenge #93 to use a die cut, and also for the SCS WT305 Butterfly Bliss challenge - in other words to use a butterfly. Most important of all is the reason I made this card and where it's going. I recently learned about a fellow stamper who was diagnosed with stage 4 gastric cancer just days before Christmas. She's a young mother of 3 who is bravely blogging about her journey with cancer, and her name is Katie Renz. You can read about it here. Her story is heartbreaking when you realize this wife and mother has been struck down at such a young age, but her courage in facing cancer is beyond measure. Please make time to send her a card if you can..............I know she can use all the encouragement we can provide for her as she goes through some tough days of chemotherapy. I've seen this address posted on several websites, so I'm going to take the liberty to post it here as well for those of you who may not have been aware of it yet.
Katie Renz
P.O. Box 5913
Bellingham, WA 98227-5913

I used a Chocolate Chip base and matted the Pear Pizzaz DP with Baja Breeze. The butterflies were die cut with a SU!/Sizzix die and embossed with SU!'s lattice square ef and a flourishes frame Cuttlebug ef. The sentiment panel was done with an EK punch and the sentiment, by Verve, was done in Chocolate Chip. The metal flower was one I got in a grab bag full of gemstones. I added a yellow brad to the center and used So Saffron ribbon. There are a couple Kaiser chocolate pearls on the smaller butterfly and everything is popped up on dimensionals.
Thanks for sticking with me during this loooong post, and I wish you a happy & healthy day! Thanks for stopping by!

Carol

14 comments:

JD/ Jill said...

Very nice, Carol, I'm sure Katie will love your card, I too hope she is flooded with cards, I'm usually not good with getting my cards right in the mail, but I put Katie's card in the mail shortly after I made it.
I could not get a good photo of my card either after several attempts. I feel like I need a photography lesson or two...Have a good day, and keep warm, Jill <---who has three layers on today...smile.

Sue from Oregon said...

Carol, I am sure Katie will love this!

Wendy said...

This is beautiful, Carol! I love it!

Joanne (jojot) said...

there will be a flood of cards as she is the destination for the Tea Party challenge on SCS as well...what a wonderful 'blizzard' of support she will receive

beautiful work....and such kindness attached to it

Silli said...

Wonderful colors Carol, love the sweet butterfly...HUGS

Deb said...

This is such a wonderful card! I love how you embossed the butterflies! I know Katie will love it too and it will lift her spirits. Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Benzi said...

Such a lovely card for a worthy cause. It is sure to be appreciated. I still love your little metal flower and I see you added your own center again. So pretty, and so is the butterfly.

Debbie Henderson said...

I applaud you for your card and for the main reason in creating your card. I'm sure Katie will love it! Thanks for playing with us at Create with Connie & Mary!

Debbie Henderson said...

I applaud you for your card and for the main reason in creating your card. I'm sure Katie will love it! Thanks for playing with us at Create with Connie & Mary!

Elise said...

SUCH a wonderful piece, Carol! I know how frustrating color "capture" can be sometimes. This looks terrific to my eyes - but I totally get the frustration! Either way, it looks WONDERFUL! Thanks for the reminder {I HAVE those dies!} ... to USE my stuff! HA ha

And on a sad, but encouraging note - so sorry to hear about Katie. You are a dear for posting this. I will send her a card, of course, but also WHITE LIGHT and my prayers! You are a true gem!

Carrie Gaskin said...

What a lovely card - the recipient is sure to treasure it.

Lisa Martz said...

Don't you just hate it when your camera doesn't cooperate? It's a very nicely done card. Thanks for playing the Create with Connie & Mary challenge!

Mary Brown said...

It just drives me nuts when what I see color wise and what my camera reproduces just don't match up! LOVE your butterflies! Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

Connie Babbert said...

Beautiful card for a stamping friend! Thanks for playing along with us on Create with Connie and Mary!